Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dentist

So on Thursday of last week I took Sam to the dentist becuase I was worried about a cavity that had formed on one of his front teeth, I knew that he was going to have to get it taken care of because the enamel was coming off the tooth and would cause a problem eventually. I was not prepared for the dentist wanting to get it done that same day, he told us that he prefers to do same day procedures with toddlers so that it is not as traumatizing. Well not traumatizing for him but certainly for me!!!!

Since Sam is so young they put him under so that they could do the work that they needed to do without fighting with him, they told me that they wanted me in the room while they put the IV in so that he saw me as he was going under and was not as scared, yeah right whatever they want to believe even with me in the room he was scared to death. So they told him that they were going to test his muscles and that is when they put the IV in, I was trying to keep his attention on me, telling him how much I loved him and if he was a big boy then when it was over he could go to the store and pick out a toy (that usually works to get him to do whatever it is that I need him to do, but not this time).

As the doctor was trying to find a vein Sam was screaming and he looked at me as screamed "someone get him out of here!" It was really funny but then he was asking me to help him please mommy help me, and then within a matter of seconds he was out, it is a horrific expierience having your child go lifeless in your arms, that is when I lost it, here I was putting my childs life in someone else's hands and I was scared to death. Luckily I had made David come home early and go with me, I just cried in his arms feeling like the worst mother in the world because I would not help my son when he was begging for it. I knew that this was the best way to get the work done that needed to be done or my son would probably end up losing his front tooth a lot sooner that he should have, it was still scary.

The whole thing only took about 20 minutes to do and the doctor came in and said that everything went really well and that he put sealants on his teeth for free because once he was looking he really needed it and they had not talked with us about doing it, so he just did and that was really nice of him! We went into the room and they said that it would take about 5 to 10 minutes for him to wake up, but that we needed to try and rouse him so we were doing anything we could to try and get him to wake up but nothing was happening, I was starting to get really scared because he was taking so long to wake up and the nurses were acting a little worried also, they finally had a nurse come in with the smelling salts and that did the trick he about launched himself off the chair, but finally he was awake!

They told us that he would be mad the rest of the night and they were not joking he was in a horrible mood and it took him a few more hours to get control of his body fully, but by the time he went to bed he was so ready for it. All in all it went ok but I really don't think I will ever put my son thru that again it was a horrible expierence for me, luckily he does not remember anything about it! He should not need anymore dental work for a few more years and by that time he will be old enough to be able to sit still for it.

As I sit here and watch Sam dance with the Fresh Beat Band on TV acting his usual self it is nice to know that was just a temporary thing and he is back to normal driving me crazy and laughing the whole way!

No comments: